Thursday 23 April 2009

But I dont want to be a dog trainer!!


Often when people ask for advice about their dogs behaviour problems I hear

'but I dont want to be a dog trainer I just want a well behavied dog'


sorry to be blunt but

TOUGH


Dogs are always learning from us - whether we want them to or not


for example


Sitting at the computer Ben comes over and puts his head in my lap

I reach down a stroke his head

Ben has learnt that putting his head in my lap means I stroke his head


Next time he tries that I dont pat his head

Hmmm thinks Ben, mibby she wants me to hold my head here longer??

He does and after a while I stroke his head.


Next time he holds his head for a longer time but still I dont stroke it

Hmmm, mibby she wants me to poke her with my paw?? yelp??


So you can see by me not paying attention at all I am free shaping Ben to bug me for attention

Is he being bad - no of course not

But if I want to stop this behaviour it is gonna get worse before it gets better as he tries to figure out what I want him to do


If you are a dog owner you are a dog trainer, get used to it

and as they are learning anyway isnt it better to teach them how you actually want them to behaive??

2 comments:

  1. Yup, that's it exactly!

    I know that some people in our local park think that a) I spoil Jake with constant click-treating and b) I only have to do it cos he has some "issues." Ha!

    Around the house, Jake has conditioned us very nicely to do some of his bidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so true!!! We sure didn't set out to dog train, but we sure do love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails