Wednesday 17 February 2010

Needle felting, beagle, stage 3

Now the head is fairly firm and in an almost doggy shape I start colouring it in.
The Beagle I am aiming for has reddish brown markings with a black cap so I apply fleece in the areas I want to colour and I firmly felt it in place
Stabbing many times in the same place creates dents in the fleece that gives me an idea where I would like the eyes to be. For felted eyes this is useful to stop the felt stick out too much. If you are using glass eyes this gives a nice eye socket for the eyes.
At this stage have another good look at your dog. I decided that he needed eyebrows above the eyes so I added a small amount of fleece above each eye socket to give a more realistic expression

5 comments:

  1. This I have to try. Thank you for sharing this with us. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such work involved!
    How long does a whole sculpture take to make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gunn, I look forward to seeing your felt!!
    Pat, I dont actually time it, but its exponential depending on the size
    A tiny tiny one takes about an hour
    The normal size dogs take up to about 6 hours and the giant sizes like the horses take the best part of a week because I have to take plenty of breaks because it is quite tough on the elbows - tennis elbow sitting on the sofa :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting and curious process. For how many years have you been crafting felted dogs? Is it wood from sheep?

    Bark 4 felt and wool (and sheep)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only seen this page on your blog and find it fascinating. What patience you must have and with very satisfying results.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails